Less than three years after its release, support for Marvel’s Avengers is waning. Today, Crystal Dynamics released Patch 2.8 for Marvel’s Avengers, adding some final features and bug fixes to the game before it is delisted later this year.
Crystal Dynamics announced the patch via a blog post, thanking the players for their support. The patch focuses on introducing some final features to the game and includes a host of new bug fixes.
Patch 2.8 makes many of the game’s cosmetics more accessible, removing the shipments and Hero Challenge Card system from the game entirely and putting their rewards in the Marketplace instead. The update will also automatically convert players’ Credits balances to in-game resources and make Hero’s Catalysts and Fragment Extractors a permanent 1.5x multiplier on Fragments and XP earned.
Additionally, players who earn at least one Trophy before April 1st will receive Iron Man’s Variable Threat Response Battle Suit as a thank you gift.
The patch notes, which can be read in full at Crystal Dynamics websitealso detailed several bug fixes that address everything from combat to some animations.
Official support for Marvel’s Avengers is set to end on September 30, and the game will be removed from the list. We gave Marvel’s Avengers a 6 in our review, praising its campaign but criticizing the loot-based endgame and limited launch mission types. Since then, Crystal Dynamics has added several new characters and features, but a former creative director for the game still apologized last month.
Marvel’s Avengers Patch 2.8 Notes Summary
- The Marketplace has been unlocked! What does this mean?
- Almost all MCU- and non-MCU-inspired Outfits, Emotes, Takedowns, and Nameplates are now automatically available on your Hero Card.
- Items earned through the campaign, however, or purchased through the Cosmetic Vendor must be acquired or purchased, respectively, as usual.
- Both the Shipping and Hero Challenge Card systems have both been completely removed from the game. Items previously earned from Shipments and Hero Challenge Cards are among the hundreds of Marketplace items that are automatically provided when you update to v2.8.
- You do not need to connect to the internet to access all unlocked Marketplace content after updating to v2.8.
- As a thank you to the players who have been with us on the journey, we are giving away a special Founder’s Gift – Iron Man’s ‘Variable Threat Response Battle Suit’. This Outfit will be automatically awarded to any player who earns at least one Trophy/Achievement before April 1st.
- All existing Credits balances are converted to in-game resources.
- Hero Property Catalysts and Fragment Extractors have been completely removed from the game. In their place, there is now a permanent 1.5x multiplier on Fragments gained and XP gained. There will be a minor hotfix, Update 2.8.1, going live on April 4 to address a Known Issue
- Several fixes for the Reassemble Campaign and Avengers Initiative, including an issue with AI companions targeting Kate Bishop’s Decoy
- Many fixes for combat mechanics issues
- Minor adjustments to endgame mission rewards, gear upgrades, and gear stats
- Adjustments to the user interface, including missing features and placeholder text
- Fixes for animations not displaying correctly during battle
Amelia Zollner is a freelance writer at IGN who loves all things indie and Nintendo. Outside of IGN, they have contributed to sites like Polygon and Rock Paper Shotgun. Find them on Twitter: @ameliazollner.